Customers add an item to their online carts and online shop owners possibly think they follow through with their purchase and complete the procedure. But unfortunately shopping cart abandonment is a big challenge for ecommerce business. Make a guess what is the percentage of cart abandonment in a whole online business sector. 10% or 20%, you guess? After learning the abandonment rate, you will be greatly surprised. 67.75% is an average of 21 different studies performed on online cart abandonment during the last 8 years. How high it is, isn’t it! And any abandoned shopping cart causes shop owners lose money and get disappointed about their lovely online shops.
How to prevent Shopping Cart Abandonment caused by Shipping FeeWhy Customers Abandon their Shopping Carts? Let’s see a research prepared to show the percentages of reasons to abandon carts. We have written 3 of them related to Shipping Fee and related hidden costs:
- 57% don’t want to pay shipping costs
- 48% notice the total cost of the purchase was more than expected
- 41% use the shopping cart to determine shipping cost
1. Offer Free Shipping
- 57% => I didn’t want to pay shipping costs
- Free Shipping is one of the most effective ways to persuade online customers to purchase the items in their carts. But you need to find a method to prevent free shipping promotion from hurting your online store margin.
- Create deadlines and announce these deadlines through ads. This makes your shoppers decide and buy quickly while shopping in your online store.
- Get promotions valid on orders over a certain amount. Shoppers will try to buy more items to get the free shipping promotion.
- Promote free shipping after the sale. Offer your customers free shipping codes after they’ve made a purchase from your online store.
2. Manage Unexpected Charges*
- 48% => I noticed the total cost of the purchase was more than I expected
- 41% => I used the shopping cart to determine shipping cost
- Do not to hide extra charges such as shipping fee until checkout. Surprise charges added to the total cost may get customers angry and abandon their carts without a purchase.
- Always prefer to add shipping cost to the total amount ahead of time so your customers will stop using their carts as a calculator for calculating shipping costs.
- Let your customers know all kind of additional fees (shipping or sales tax) they will pay before they have entered all of their billing information.