Pay-per-click advertising (PPC) is a very popular mode of advertising a business online. Here, the business owner will pay hosts like Google and other search engines an agreed amount whenever an internet user clicks on the ad which brings them to the business owners website. These are ads commonly placed on top and on the right side of the search engine results pages (SERPs) which are considered to be “hotspots” for advertising. As an online store owner, you would definitely want to take advantage of this huge benefit of PPC, but it does come with a price. With several reservations in mind, the question of whether PPC is for you and whether it is worth it comes to mind. The best way to answer this question is by understanding the different pros and cons of PPC, most of which are outlined in the following paragraphs.
Advantages of PPC AdvertisingPPC advertising does have various benefits for online store owners including:
- Cost-effectiveness – PPC allows you to control how much you spend on your advertising campaign. By doing so, you can avoid going over your advertising budget. You can apply for PPC advertising with a fixed amount in mind, and when the limit is reached, your ads will be removed from search engine results pages.
- Measurable – this is another advantage which greatly encourages online store owners to give PPC advertising a try. Using certain analytics tools and reports from the host, you can count and measure how many clicks your PPC ad gets, making this its biggest advantage over traditional advertising methods.
- Targeted Advertising – in PPC, your advertisement will only appear to internet users who search for definite keywords. This makes your advertisement very much relevant to the internet user’s query or intent, and thus increases the chances of them clicking and being redirected to your online store’s website.
- Increased Online Visibility – by employing PPC advertising, you are paying your hosts and search engines to put you on top of the search engine results pages. This is a great way to jumpstart your new online store. If you have a lot of competition, getting ahead in search engine results pages is your biggest challenge, and PPC can help solve this problem for you. By putting you on the hotspots of search engine results pages, you gain an advantage over your competitors.
Disadvantages of PPC AdvertisingDespite the various benefits that PPC Advertising is known to bring online stores and ecommerce businesses, it is not without flaws and drawbacks.
- Keywords Prices – When you employ PPC advertising, you will be bidding for certain keywords that you and your host will use in your ad campaign. Keywords are priced differently, depending on how many of your competitors with PPC ads are bidding for them. The more competitors there are, the higher the bids will be. If you have limited budget, the best keywords will definitely go to your competitors.
- Fraud Prone – If you’re not careful, you may find yourself a victim of PPC fraud. What happens is that companies will encourage you to set up a PPC ad campaign with them. However, instead of actual internet users, it will be these fraudulent companies who will be clicking on your ad. Thus, you’re budget will soon run out without you making any sale at all.
- Possible Short-term Effects – PPC ads are seldom considered to be short term advertising methods. Once you run out of budget, your PPC ad will be removed from the search engine results pages thereby decreasing your online visibility. If you fail to make your online store memorable to your previous customers or if they haven’t bookmarked your site, you may never get to see them again.