When you’ve done the hard work to drive visitors to your website and helped them find the items that they want, the last thing you want to do is lose them at the last hurdle – the checkout. Yet this final piece of the puzzle is a big problem for many websites. There will always be people who are ‘just browsing’ and some who want to save items in a cart for later, but The Baymard Institute found on average a whopping 67.89% of shopping carts are abandoned! With over £1 billion of online transactions being lost a year in the UK, retailers are desperately seeking answers to cart abandonment and ways to improve conversion rates. A great deal of research has been undertaken to look into some of the biggest factors affecting conversions and CWCS has summarised some of the most interesting findings in this infographic. Some of the key issues, Conversion Killers, are Unexpected Costs (hidden high shipping costs, handling costs and credit card usage charges), Security (especially for card details), Speed (slow checkout process, heavy going web pages, etc.) and Customer Reviews.
- Make sure visitors can easily find a phone number, email and even office address for your business so they know they can get in touch if they need you. (Security)
- A study found that 61% of consumers are at least ‘somewhat likely’ to cancel their order is free shipping isn’t offered. (Unexpected Costs) Related Post: Stop Shopping Cart Abandonment by Shipping Fee Promotions
- To improve site speed as a whole, visit Google’s Page Speed tool where you can simply drop in your web address to find out how fast your site is and lots of helpful advice on what you can do to speed it up. (Speed)
- If additional costs are necessary then make that clear early in the process and justify their value to the customer to avoid nasty surprises. (Unexpected Costs)
- To increase your reviews we recommend you to check out our older blog posts Customer Service Strategies for Ecommerce Businesses and Leveraging the Power of Customer Reviews to Improve Your Ecommerce Business
++ Click Image to Enlarge ++
Source: Is your Website Losing You Money? These Conversion Killers could be to blame.